January is National Oatmeal Month, which means people will be focusing on eating healthy to accomplish their New Year’s resolutions. Oatmeal tastes great and can be fixed in so many different ways. Eating oatmeal may help lower blood pressure, control blood sugar and reduce bad cholesterol levels. Eating oatmeal in the morning also helps you feel full longer, so you are not tempted to grab an unhealthy snack later in the day. Eating oatmeal can even help stop the itch from dry winter skin. Here are two delicious and nutritious recipes Milwaukee elderly care professionals recommend for seniors.
Oatmeal cupcakes taste great and are great go-to snacks on mornings that your senior has a busy day.
3 overripe bananas
5 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons maple syrup
2/3 cup diced cranberries
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup applesauce
2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line two 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.
3. In a small bowl, mash the banana.
4. Combine the banana, maple syrup, water, applesauce and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat until well combined.
5. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
6. Divide the mixture evenly into the paper liners.
7. Bake for 22 minutes.
8. Let sit overnight so cupcakes are no longer sticky.
Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies
Alternatively, delight your senior loved one with some easy oatmeal cookies.
2 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons peanut butter
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1. Place milk, chocolate chips and peanut butter in a saucepan.
2. Cook over low heat until chocolate chips melt.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in oats.
5. Drop by teaspoon onto wax paper.
6. Place in refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
These delicious recipes are great for anytime of day and won’t interfere with your loved one’s balanced diet. Learn more about ways to maintain your loved one’s physical wellbeing with help from Home Care Assistance. In addition to helping seniors maintain healthy diets, we provide flexible live-in and hourly at-home care Milwaukee families can trust to help seniors age in place. Call (262) 782-3383 today or go online to learn more about our unique services.